Tuesday, January 25, 2011

No Jesus, No Peace...

When I was a little girl, my dad owned a silver Saab '93. On the back of this car read a bumper sticker that said "No Jesus, no peace; know Jesus, know peace". I would watch my dad pull into our garage every day, and I always saw that bumper sticker, but for the longest time I could never figure out what it meant. One day, however, it finally clicked. Jesus is our peace! After that I promised that my first bumper sticker I owned would say the same thing.
More recently this bumper came to mind in lieu of a certain situation I had not forseen coming up. I spent a day fasting and praying about what to do in the face of these circumstances, and at the end of the day, I had such a peace about the whole thing that I wondered why it even seemed like a problem in the first place. And that's when it struck me that the unique thing about the peace of Jesus Christ is that it takes no mind to the circumstances. There is a reason that people can talk about that light at the end of the tunnel; there is a reason people can be burned at the stake and never recant their faith in Christ. There is a reason there can be joy in the middle of despair, and that reason lies in the peace that passes all understanding.
Dictionary.com defines peace as "a state of tranquillity or serenity". Hindu religions are constantly seeking Nirvana, which is defined as "a state of passionless peace". Nations are thought to be successful when they are at peace, and who doesn't enjoy "peace and quiet"? The thing about peace is that it is always sought after. New methods to obtain it are always being contrived, and people go on excursions to "find themselves" or "be at peace" with themselves.
Yet the thing about Jesus is that He is our peace; His promise to give us peace never fails, for God cannot lie. If He was our peace one day, He will be our peace the next, for "I am the Lord, I change not".
And Satan hates it. He loves to pour condemnation on us; feelings of unworthiness, thoughts of doubt, and desire for temporary things flood us every day to take our mindset off of God and onto ourselves. Because once that is accomplished and we are focused on the "me", our peace is shattered. Think about the Garden of Eden; Adam and Eve had everything they wanted- they were happy and at peace with God and themselves. The first thing that Satan did to tempt Eve was to make her feel that she did not have enough. That the fruit was something she really desired; and once she started listening to him, she never got her peace back.
Our peace is not found in our possessions, our education, our careers, nor our relationships; rather it is found in the most simple, yet most complex cornerstone of our existence. It is found in the rock of Jesus Christ.
Where are you searching for your peace?


And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7
You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
I the LORD do not change. Malachi 3:6a

No comments:

Post a Comment