Monday, September 20, 2010

Funkily Grumpy

I get grumpy sometimes. I get those mornings where you tumble out of bed and have no desire to do anything but crawl back into that warm cocoon. I get those days where everyone and anyone grates on my nerves. I get those days where I just sulk around, mopey for nothing and everything all at once.

And, sometimes I even feel justified to have those days. “It’s been a long week”; “No one appreciates the work I do”; “I can’t believe she said that about me”; “I just don’t feel good” are among my top excuses.

So, you can imagine that when I crack open Good Ole’ Faithful (better known as my Bible), that I don’t always have a strong urge to do anything but scan the words on the page and be done.

But lately, I’ve been thinking. Somebody at work once told me that Old Testament stories are pointless and are placed just merely to amuse those who read them. And I, quite frankly, completely disagree with them. You can learn a lot by these stories.

Take David and Goliath. David had every reason in the world to be immobilized by a funk. He was the youngest in his family- not the spoiled selfish one, but the ignored and seemingly useless one. Everyone disregarded him, and laughed in his face when he stood up to face that giant. Yet he did! He faced that giant and even took it one step further; he defeated that giant in the victory of God, and gave all the glory to Him.

Take Joseph. Out of anybody, Joseph could have sat and sulked all day; if not in the corner of the pit his brothers so kindly threw him into, then in the slave caravan taking him away, and again in the dungeon of Potiphar. Yet he threw his head back, ignored his circumstances, and praised God in the midst of it all; he thanked God for everything he went through!

And take Jesus. Bearing the weight of the world, I can think of no better reason to go into a funk than the prospect of dying the most miserable death imaginable. Yet, He didn’t fight. He didn’t grump and slouch. He simply said, Lord, if you will, take this cup from me. And when that cup didn’t go away, He praised in the middle of it and pointed no fingers. He didn’t defend Himself. He held no malice.

Oh God, make me like Him! Let me surrender my will to Yours! Let my life not be mine; let it be transparent so that when people see me, they see right to You!

God puts the smile on my face every morning. He is the voice within my voice that sings Him praise. He is my inspiration; He is the author and the finisher of my faith.

What is He to you?

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

No comments:

Post a Comment