Monday, February 14, 2011

Flag-rant

The sun was in rare form this afternoon, actually daring to show it's face upon this winter "wonderland". I curled up in my perch along side a window to soak up a few precious sun rays; outside I could see just about everything from my view. There was a school, a parking lot, a small forest of trees; I could see much of a small town. But right outside my window was a bright flagpole, brilliantly waving the stars and stripes to all who would look.
The beauty of this scene just made my heart praise God; in my praise I began to pray that God would continue to reveal His direction for my life. God sometimes has an odd way of replying to our prayers; as I looked again at the flagpole, and analogy came to mind.
The flag is strongly anchored to the pole. The pole it resides upon is actually what is continually holding that flag up, giving it support and strength. Yet the flag doesn't just hang there; it's still free enough to move where it needs to move, and to wave when the wind blows. Its brilliant colors attract the world that it's in, and not of, to show the message it stands for. The flag never compromises. When the sun is shining, the flag still waves. When the sky is crying, the flag still stands.
What would a flag for Christ look like? What implications would that hold for a believer?
1)If we lose hold of our flagpole (Christ), we fall to the ground as a battered piece of cloth. We are henceforth useless to the calling to which we have been called; we become of this world, instead of merely in it. A flag has no life outside of the pole it has been fixed to; Christ is our breath of life.
2)If we stop being sensitive to the calling of the Spirit (the wind for us flags), we instead become stagnant in our faith. The world sees a beaten piece of fabric drooping on a lonely staff, and lose interest in the message we proclaim.
3)We are always proclaiming the Gospel. A flag is woven with intent to show some message. Whether it's calling all Harley riders together, holding a vision for world peace, or declaring pride in a nation, every flag has significance. Everybody who looks at it sees that message. Our message is the Jesus is the way; our demeanor should be proclaiming that to everyone who looks at it.

Let this be your prayer:
Lord, whatever I'll be doing, wherever I'll be going, whomever I'll be with, make me like that flag.  I want to be Your flag, proclaiming Your message of peace to the whole world. I want to be fixed to You, to stand upon Your grace and strength. I want to be willing to move to wherever You lead me, sensitive to the calling of the Holy Spirit. Lord, I'm Yours.


My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26
He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Mark 16:15
For this is God, our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death. Psalm 48:18

No comments:

Post a Comment