Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Abraham's Sacrifice

A while ago I wrote about the story of Abraham and Isaac from Isaac's point of view; the view of having such submission, obedience, and trust in those placed in authority over you that you would follow that person, even if it means to lay down your life. But this time, I wanted to talk about the more traditional perspective on this story; what was Abraham thinking?
Abraham stood on the promise that he would receive a son for 25 years. That's a long time to not lose faith in the fulfillment of what God has shown you! But after Isaac was born, you could imagine the joy that Abraham felt, holding his beloved and cherished son. I'm sure he loved every moment of that boy's life, watching him and teaching him in his relationship with their Lord. I'm sure he thanked God every day for His faithfulness in providing his only son.
Yet one day, God asked for the impossible. Now this isn't exactly verbatim from the scripture, but I always picture it a little like this. "Abraham, do you love me?" "Yes Lord, you know I love you." Abraham would have earnestly answered.
"Would you give your son back to me?" And that is where the testing began. Where did Abraham's true affections lie?
Everything that happens in the Old Testament has a correlation to the New Testament, and to our lives. It's not full of old fairy tales to shake our heads in disbelief at. God still is asking for our Isaacs. Where do your affections lie?
So Abraham had the strength in God to give up his only son. He had the courage to bind up his offspring and to lie him on the altar. I'm sure it felt like he was putting most of himself on that altar as well. Yet he carried on. He raised that knife, and at that moment, he passed the test. God knew that He had Abraham's all. God spared Isaac's life because of his father's faithfulness.
So do you have Abraham's heart? Do you give your Isaac to God every day? Do you have the courage to say, "God, I love you more. You're enough for me."?
Build your life up as an altar to God. Be willing to sacrifice your Isaac, because you never want anything between you and the Lord.
Make your prayer like that of the many prayers of the men counted as faithful to God. "Lord, my spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak.... Strengthen the hands that hang down... Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief."

Genesis 22
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. Matthew 26:41b
Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees. Hebrews 12:12
Lord, I believe; help my unbelief! Mark 9:24b

No comments:

Post a Comment