Saturday, January 1, 2011

Sonny Weather

     Today was especially cold for the frigid Wisconsin weather that I can never seem to get used to. I was shivering inside at work, trying to move around as much as I could to warm up. Working on New Year's Day was already particularly taxing, and I was having a hard time keeping a smile on my face. Sometime throughout that morning, one of my coworkers looked outside the big panel windows and commented, "Oh look! The sun's finally coming out!"
     We hear that phrase a lot. We even hear it in songs like "The sun will come out tomorrow" or "In the morning when you wake up and the sun does not appear...". Point is, people seem to enjoy blaming the lack of light in their world on the sun.
     But, doesn't the earth revolve around the sun? Pretty sure last time I checked, it was the earth's rotation that causes our seasons and our nights and days. Pretty sure the sun never changes. Pretty sure it's the clouds and the pull of the earth that hides the sun from us.
     Isn't that just like Christ? The Son is always there. He is always shining brightly, full of warmth and light. Pretty sure He never changes. I'm positive the Son never hides.
     So what hides the light and the joy of the Lord from us on "cloudy" days? The times where life gets so wearing we just don't know how to face another day- that's what I call our spiritual nights. And, as established before, nighttime exists when the earth rotates away from the sun. When does the pull of this world hide the Son from you?
     What are the clouds that are blocking your view of the Son?
     Not every day is going to be happy go lucky; but something we can always bank on is not that "the Son will come out tomorrow", but that the Son is here. Right here and now; today, yesterday, and forever.
     The Son never changes.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
Will your courage endure or your hands be strong in the day I deal with you? I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it. Ezekiel 22:14
You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever. Psalm 30:11-12
Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. Daniel 2:20-22

No comments:

Post a Comment